Thursday, April 14, 2016

I just had to share this picture my daughter, Tamara, sent me on facebook, and I quote:  "Mom, an image of you!"


Who else grew up referring to these things 


as thongs?  When she was little I was always mortifying her by calling them thongs.  I could not get it into my head that they were flip flops now.

What I want to know is who in the fashion industry decided it would be fun to mess with my generations heads by renaming a specific piece of underwear (the likes of which were not even imagined at that time) the name that I called cheap summer shoes?  I can just imagine that board room meeting now.   




6 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Yep - they were thongs when I was growing up too - and believe it or not, when people were happy - they were gay. The times they do change. Go figure.

Barbara H. said...

Yes, I grew up calling them thongs as well. A few years ago my kids' Christian school had to change their handbook: one part of the dress code didn't want students wearing thongs to class - had to change it to flip flops. I don't know who gets to makes these changes! LOL!

Faith said...

we called them flip flops in central NY but when I got to college in western NY people called them thongs!! so funny!!

ellen b said...

Ha ha! My daughter is mortified when I call flip flops thongs! They will always be thongs to me!

nikkipolani said...

We had a different name in Vietnamese, but I grew up with most people calling them thongs, too. Until I met roomie who told me all her friends called them zories.

Karen said...

Haha! Love this picture! They were thongs when I was growing up, too.