Thursday, November 13, 2014

The Duck Commander Faith and Family Bible NKJV ~ book tour & review

Edited by Phil and Al Robertson

Publisher's Description:
The stars of the hit TV show Duck Dynasty are committed to upholding five core values both on and off the screen: faith, family, fellowship, forgiveness, and freedom. The Duck Commander® Faith and Family Bible features new stories and testimonials by Phil, the Robertson family patriarch, and his son Al, a pastor with more than 22 years of experience. Together they offer fresh wisdom on biblical values and how everyday people can apply them to their lives. Powered by relentless dedication to sharing the gospel and celebrating Christ’s kingdom, the Robertson family has become influential to contemporary evangelism and discipleship. The Duck Commander® Faith and Family Bible unleashes the power of their practical insight into critical faith issues, founded on God’s Word.


My Thoughts:
I was drawn to say yes to review this bible, not because I am a huge fan of the show, I really have not watched it, but because people I know have mentioned their strong stand as family for God.  The only real thing I know about the Robertson family is the couple of visual clips my pastor has shown in church or by some quotes and by the media storm that surrounded Phil in the last year.  And it is from those clips that were shown in church, one about giving and another about putting God first in your life, that I was totally drawn to order this for review.  Their strong stand for the things of God and their passion to share the gospel as a family was so appealing.

Having no preconceived ideas from watching their show, I was really pleasantly surprised by their bible.  It's New King James Version, which I don't mind.  There's a nice welcome page written by Phil and Al that let's you know why they wrote it.   There are a set of 30 devotionals called "LifeChangers" which are true stories that came about when they have shared the gospel and the transformation of lives that followed.  Then throughout the bible are biblical guidance essays, called Set Your Sights,  that tackle topics and subjects that they get asked about consistently.  These are filed under 5 catagories that are central to the Robertson family:  Faith, Family, Fellowship, Forgiveness, and Freedom.  Each essay is accompanied by a scripture pertaining to the topic and then they give added scripture, under an "on the hunt" title so that the reader can really hunt and search the Word of God for more of what He has to say on the topic.   I loved the everyday language they used in the lessons.   I have to say it is one of the few devotional type bibles where I really wanted to read each and every one of the devotionals, and I think it is because of the conversational style of writing that they had.

What I also really liked was that these lessons are also categorized for the reader in the beginning by topic and writer so that you can do one a week if you want.   In the back the Set Your Sights Categories are also listed by even more specific categories so it makes so that it makes it super simple to look any area up.  Also included in the indexes at the back are The ABC's of salvation, 30 Days with Jesus, Ministry of Jesus, Parables of Jesus, Miracles of Jesus, and Miracles of the Apostles all of which lead you to the corresponding scripture.   This bible is set up to make it really easy to get you into the Word of God digging around for yourself rather than just taking their word for it which is an aspect that really appealed to me.

Thanks to BookLook Bloggers for giving me a free copy for review.  I was not required to have a positive review and all thoughts and opinions are my own.

The Duck Commander Bible can be purchased here.





1 comment:

Melanie said...

Thanks for the review! I do watch their program because of their stand for their faith. They each have quite a testimony. I already have several Bibles but this review makes me want to go out and buy this for the devotional material.