Friday, December 14, 2012

Friday's Fave Five #221


Hi everyone!  Welcome to Friday's Fave Five.  Time to take a breather from all the hectic-ness of Christmas preparations and look for the blessings that touched us this week.  Sometimes when it's this busy and chaotic, with so much to do and so little time, with so much to remember we can very easily overlook how God is actually bringing blessing into our lives.  This FFF helps us to just slow it down for a few minutes and notice.  Guidelines are here if you need them.



1.  Combined birthday celebrations.  My friend's birthday was in November, mine is this month.  I won a pair of tickets to a reading of "A Christmas Carol", so I invited her.  She took me to a pizza dinner before and we finished off with my treat of dessert.  I'd never been to a reading before and I must say that it was really good.  The actors were so talented to be able to keep our attention as each of them read their "acts".  And the whole evening was so much fun that we decided we were starting a new tradition of how we would celebrate our birthdays.

2.  Treated to  a delicious dinner of Chinese food.   With two other couples, my hubby and I enjoyed an evening out.  The food was delicious, the company wonderful, the laughter refreshing.

3.  Christmas shopping done!  Finished up totally today.  What a relief!

4.  Finding an evergreen & fir smelling candle that is nice and fresh tree like.  I wanted this one but they were all out.  Sad, sad, sad.  But I actually found a nice smelling one that will do just fine.  We have an artificial tree so I want to somehow get that luscious tree smell and by George, I think I've got it!  And I got it for a waaaay better deal than I can find anywhere on the internet right now.  Score!

5.  And last, but certainly not least, is the fact that my son got a job in his field!  I'm sorry he won't be here for Christmas, I'm sorry he had to leave so abruptly that we couldn't have an evening to share his gifts with him, but I'm really happy for his opportunity.  I tucked a couple more smaller gifts into his suitcase so that he'll have a gift on Christmas and he'll be home in three weeks.  We'll celebrate his birthday big time in lieu of.

What are your favorites for the week?  Were you able to slow yourself down enough to take a look for them?  I hope so, whether you share them with us or not.  Have a great weekend everyone.  I'm planning doing some gift wrapping, coffee drinking and general relaxing before it really gets crazy!







12 comments:

nikkipolani said...

Chaotic? You bet! But I wouldn't miss FFF for mere chaos ;-) Your birthday outing sounded like so much fun - fun food, fun company, and a fun evening! Well done on getting the shopping done and getting your house ready for Christmas!

Gattina said...

I am done with my Christmas shopping too, actually I shop the whole year long, each time I see something which would suit to somebody at Christmas I buy it and put it in a special drawer. So no Christmas rush ! How nice that your son found a job in his field ! That's also a Christmas gift !

Faith said...

Busy yes! but like you I'm finally done with the shopping other than 1 gift that hasn't been delivered to the store yet. I celebrated a bday too and i have 2 friends, my youngest, a sister and her son all whom have Dec birthdays!! it tends to get crazy!! But i wouldn't miss FFF for the world! enjoy that coffee this weekend..i'm planning a weekend of the same :)

Kathie said...

Oh I'm not done yet - but I made good headway yesterday!

Congratulations to your boy!! What an accomplishment!

Your evenings out sound lovely - I do a combined bday with my friends too - 4 of them - but we celebrate each birthday - all of us - all together. you should try that! :)

Barbara H. said...

Such a nice feeling to be done with Christmas shopping. We're pretty much done. I was going to buy a shirt for one but haven't gotten to the mall yet -- may just do a gift card. :-) The older they get, they more they like to pick out their own things.

The reading and birthday time out together sounds fun. I've seen a few "reader's theater" type productions that were so good they made me forget I wasn't seeing it acted out with sets and costumes.

Glad your son got a job in his field and that he'll be home and can celebrate his birthday in a few weeks.

Susan said...

I also enjoy the evergreen tree smell but b/c of allergies I can't have a fresh tree in my home. I don't know why I never thought of burning a candle. Thanks for the idea, Susanne.

What a bittersweet time it is for you regarding your one son's new job. This is the first year I won't wake up with any children here for Christmas. It's okay. but a little sad.

Spending time with friends is always a plus especially when yummy food and laughter are involved.

Have a great weekend, Susanne.

And thanks again for hosting this fff. It is usually the one time each week that I purposefully stop to think about the week's blessings. In fact for this week, I was surprised to "discover" all the ordinary blessings that filled my week!

Willow said...

Hurray for your son's job! That's a definite blessing.
Isn't evergreen the 'official' fragrance of Christmas? I love the smell of the Christmas trees and wreaths! I breathe deeply every time I pass by.

snowbird said...

What a busy time! Lots of lovely meals, and how wonderful to have finished the shopping. I have to admit I've got the lot and food to buy, but at least I wrote half the cards today and posted them. xxxxx

Annette Whipple said...

New traditions are awesome!!

I meant to comment on your son's job post. WOW...the timing. :( But also WOW to the job. :)

Have a great weekend!

Mom24 said...

So glad you got to go out with your friend. Your time out with your hubby sounds wonderful too. I know it must be hard to have your boy away, I hope it doesn't take the shine off Christmas too much for you. I'm dreading the day we don't see our kids for Christmas.

Susan said...

Hey Susanne,
I see that you mentioned the book 52 Little Lessons from It's a Wonderful Life (at over the backyard fence). Since this is a reread it must be good?

I just saw the book a few weeks ago at the store and wondered about it. I am going to check your blog to see if you've done a review on it.

Carrie said...

I'm woefully behind around here. Fresh start in the new year!?

Just got the Christmas shopping last night! I echo your relief now! :D

Merry Christmas to you and your family, Susanne!