Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Book Review ~ After the Leaves Fall

"After the Leaves Fall" by Nicole Baart
The coming of age story of small town girl Julia DeSmit. Living through the rejection and stigma of a mother who doesn't care about her and deserts her at age nine, losing her beloved father as a young teenager and unrequited young love. Looking to escape she enrolls in an out of town college in the engineering program hoping to remake herself.
Not really fitting in and struggling to get through her classes she ends up making friends with a teacher's assistant in one of her classes. This friendship, how the past shaped her and a reunion with an old friend culminate to bring her to decisions that will change her life forever.
For a first novel, the author skillfully brings the emotions and feelings of being a young woman looking for herself to a believeable, relatable story. There were parts of the story where I actually "felt" what the character was feeling. Interesting and engaging, I look forward to the second book continueing the life of Julia.

10 comments:

Faith said...

Sounds like a great book. And your menu for the week looks awesome as usual!
Enjoy the day!

GiBee said...

I have pretty much given up on reading until Hunter is an adult and out of the house.

Okay, maybe until he's old enough to play on his own...

Sigh.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

And, it has a leeetle yello chicky on the front which makes me want to buy it.

Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

sounds like a great book

Ive tagged and awarded you my dear friend
Jen

Linda said...

Here I am trying to get all caught up again. I really love your new "do". I have decided to stay with short hair for the rest of my life! That long hair was just too much trouble.
The book sounds really good.
How is your hand? Praying you are doing well.

Anonymous said...

Wow sounds great! I will have to read it!

Tammy said...

It does sounds like a good book, Susanne!
I was just scrolling down, trying to catch up a bit after my trip, and LOVE your new do! It's adorable, Susanne! :D

Thanks for welcoming me back...we're all tired, and it's hard to get back into routine, but we're happy to be home and enjoying our memories!

Tori Leslie said...

Looks like a great read. Thanks for the heads-up!

Rochelle said...

I like books that make you feel those emotions as if you or your best friend is the character, and this sounds like it would be one of them. And your menu sounds good. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Barb said...

I won this book in a giveaway a few months ago and loved it. I was so impressed with this debut novel, I can't wait to read her future books.